Who says comfort foods are only for winter? It may be hot outside, but there are still some days that I want a food that makes me feel homey and happy.
This chicken and dumplings recipe is great for when I’m feeling nostalgic. It’s really easy, doesn’t require a ton of ingredients, and it uses canned biscuits. Dinner will be ready in no time.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 32 oz carton chicken broth
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- In a large saucepan (or in a stockpot) over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until soft and onions begin to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir continuously until the flour cooks and turns a blonde color, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and continue whisking until everything is smooth and there are no clumps of flour left. Bring to a boil.
- Remove the biscuits from the can and gently flatten them using either your hands or a rolling pin. Cut the biscuits into small pieces (about 6 per biscuit) and add them to the pot.
- Add the cooked chicken, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until the dumplings are soft. Serve hot.
Created by SouthernSavers.com
See more frugal recipes!