This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
This is a Sponsored Post written by me on behalf of Mission Foods. All opinions are 100% mine.
Sometimes the best meals are the simplest. Mission Foods recently sent us some tortillas and a challenge to cook a meal for a large group for under $10. This became even more challenging adding in our new healthy eating diets. When I think of tortillas my brain instantly goes to melted cheese and sour cream. So I tried to rethink a fajita and make it as healthy as possible.
- Load up on the peppers and onions! These are zero points for us weight watcher folks (super healthy for everyone else).
- Don’t use Olive Oil from a bottle, but instead Olive Oil or Vegetable oil spray. You will use a lot less and thereby not add a ton of fat and calories.
- Grab Fat Free Sour Cream and Cheese made with 2% milk.
- Most Salsas are also zero points (super healthy) but we went another step with black bean salsa to add some more fiber and protein.
- Skip the chips or rice, just add steamed green beans or another vegetable on the side.
1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of Chili pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 second spray of Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Shredded Cheese, 2% milk,
First put the meat, honey and chili pepper together. Then throw it all in one big pan.
7 minutes later dinner is ready!
The grand total for this meal: $6.64 and it made enough to serve 5 people easy.
Total points for the meal = 5
If you are up for a tortilla menu challenge then check out the Mission Menus Challenge. Now through August 9th, you can enter for a chance to participate in a cook-off in The Hard Rock Cafe in Los Angeles. The winner of the cook-off will receive a $10,000 kitchen makeover!
To enter, send in a “budget-friendly” recipe. The meal must cost less than $10, be able to feed 5 people, include Mission Tortillas, and be your own unique creation.
I know you guys can handle the $10 part of the challenge so get your gears working. Let’s see if a Southern Saver can win a round-trip to LA and hotel accommodations for two and then win that kitchen! Feel free to use the comments below to do some brainstorming.