This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
We have started a three part series on how to save on gas. Today we are tackling the world of Grocery store gas reward programs. Be sure to tune in soon for more info just on gas station reward cards.
There are lots of different reward programs out there so let’s briefly breakdown each one and then talk about a few tricks to save more.
First the best program to me…
Fuelperks! – This is a gas program run by an independent company that various retailers have “bought” into. The rules are the same though for every store. In the south this is found in Bi-Lo and select Winn-Dixie stores.
- You earn 5¢ off per gallon of gas up to 20 gallons, for every $50 in groceries you buy. That’s $50 before coupons! Most grocers also run additional promotions on select items that earn more fuelperks!
- There is no cap on savings, you can earn up to a free tank of gas!
- Earnings expire after 3 months if not used.
- Redeem at gas stations across the US.
- Most stores offer bonus fuelperks when you purchase gift cards. So… buy gas gift cards for the store you use your fuelperks at. Now you are earning more fuelperks and then will turn around and save more on gas.
Kroger Gas Savings – As the name implies this is for Kroger stores only. They have Kroger gas stations and a few other gas brands that have partnered with them in various areas. Find more about the Kroger in your area here.
- Earn 10¢ off per gallon up to 20 gallons of gas for every 100 points you earn.
- Get 1 point for every dollar spent on groceries (before coupons).
- Get 50 points for each prescription filled.
(Excludes Arkansas stores and any paid for government funded programs.)
- Get 100 points for every $50 spent in gift cards. Doesn’t included Kroger store gift cards
- If your area partners with Shell or other outside gas stations buy $50 gas gift cards at Kroger, earn rewards points and then fill up and save more.
- All Kroger pharmacies will price match any local pharmacies price for prescriptions. This makes the extra gas savings even more awesome, you got the best possible price and saved on gas.
Food City – Almost the same as Krogers program, except you earn 15¢ off per gallon up to 20 gallons for every 150 points. Earn 50 points for each filled prescription.
Walmart – Get a Walmart gift card and use it at participating stations to save 3¢ off per gallon.
One Last Tip
Most of these programs are for a savings up to 20 gallons. If you fill up a car that holds less than 20 gallons you NEED to bring a gas can or even a second car. Fill up your car and then fill up a 5 gallon gas can or pull up your husbands car right behind you and put 5 gallons in his car. Don’t waste those extra gallons at a discount though!