Sometimes we could all just use an immune boost. And, believe it or not, chicken soup has been found to help you feel better when you have cold symptoms. I guess grandma was right about that one!
This feel better chicken soup served hot can help relieve congestion, reduce inflammation, and it tastes good, too.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 whole carrots, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 32 oz carton chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 oz spaghetti pasta, broken into small pieces
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Place the chicken in, skin side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until softened and fragrant, about 6-7 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water and add the bay leaf, turmeric, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low so that the liquid simmers, cover, and cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the broth to a cutting board and allow to cool for a few minutes. Using two forks, remove the skin and tear the meat from the bones. Shred the meat. Discard the skin and bones and return the meat to the broth.
- Taste the broth and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Let the soup simmer for another 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, in a small saucepan bring water to a boil. Cook the pasta until tender and drain (cooking the pasta separately helps you if you have leftover soup--if you put the noodles in the soup and then refrigerate, the pasta will soak up lots of the broth and become mushy).
- Remove the bay leaf from the broth. Add some cooked pasta to a bowl, pour some of the chicken soup over the noodles, and serve hot.
Created by SouthernSavers.com
See more frugal recipes!