This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
I’ve shared a recipe for these white chicken enchiladas before, and it’s a great recipe! But recently I was making white chicken enchiladas for a family at our church who had someone in the hospital. I was short on time and took a few shortcuts. But my family couldn’t tell the difference, and I realized not only was it a simpler way to make this dish, but it was also healthier! Here is what I’m calling my white chicken enchilada remix, if you want another way to make them.
Healthy and Easy White Chicken Enchiladas
Instead of buying raw chicken and cooking it, the first shortcut is to use a rotisserie chicken! This recipe also uses less cheese and whole wheat tortillas to make it even healthier.
Here are the other ingredients you’ll need (I made a double batch which is why there is more here: 1 rotisserie chicken, taco seasoning, butter, flour, chicken broth, sour cream, green chiles, whole wheat tortillas, and Monterey jack cheese.
Take the chicken off the bones and shred it up into smaller pieces. Then stir in the taco seasoning.
For the sauce, you’ll start by melting the butter in a saucepan.
Then mix in the flour and stir for a few minutes.
Once it has started to thicken, pour in the broth.
This is what the sauce will look like at this point.
Remove it from the heat and then stir in the sour cream and green chiles.
Spread a bit of the sauce over the bottom of a 9×13 pan, then divide the chicken evenly among the tortillas and roll the tortillas up.
Pour the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas.
Then use the whole bag of cheese and sprinkle it on top.
You’ll bake it at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until it starts to brown. This is an easy and delicious meal to take to someone else—I added yellow rice and black beans to serve with mine.
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can green chiles
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the rotisserie chicken from the bones and shred into smaller pieces. Mix in the taco seasoning.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and then add the flour. Stir for a few minutes, then stir in the chicken broth until it thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream and green chiles.
- Spread some of the sauce over the bottom of a 13x9 pan.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/3-1/2 cup of chicken (depending on how much chicken you have) and roll up, then place in the pan.
- When you've filled all 8 tortillas, pour over the rest of the sauce. Then sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melted on top.