This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Have you ever really sat down and thought about how much poison is in your house? I know many of you are parents so this is your yearly reminder to stop and think about how safe your kids and home are. We all know there are obvious poisons that we must protect children from such as bleach, paint, and automotive products, but there are many more that children do not realize even exist. So many medicines, cleaners, and other products resemble things children love to eat, but are actually poison.
One of the shocking examples are gummy vitamins. I used to love eating these as a kid, they look and taste just like candy. However, children can get sick from eating too many.
Windex is another dangerous poison. Windex sitting next to blue Gatorade can look tempting to your children. But (hopefully you know already), Windex is not meant to be consumed. Viactiv vitamins also fall into this category. While they look like chocolate, Viactiv would harm children if they ate as little as ten of them.
These are all great products, but do present a risk to children who aren’t educated about them. The best thing to do is to educate your children on what is food and what can be poisonous.
Mr. Yuk stickers come in handy when dealing with this. You can put the Mr. Yuk sticker on things that are harmful to your children. You can teach them what the sticker means and to never eat or mess with items that have the sticker on it.You can get Mr. Yuk stickers and other free materials from the Poison Prevention website. Lastly, children should know if they are ever unsure about whether or not they can eat something, they need to ask an adult. Just by them knowing to ask, a lot of problems can be adverted.
Accidents may still happen though and children may consume poison, but there is help available. Poison Prevention offers great services that are FREE. We all have access to a center and many of you even have a center in your local area.
Many of the calls that they get each week are about children under the age of 6, more than 80% of the callers are given excellent advice and they do not have to go in for further medical treatment.
The Palmetto Poison Center is teaming up with Southern Savers this week to try to increase awareness. Many centers provide:
- Treatment advice for poison related emergencies/information to the public and health care professionals 24 hours a day, free of charge.
- Free public education programs throughout the state (really to anyone that will listen)
- Public service announcements on poisoning related topics to media on an as-needed-basis (Holiday hazards, poisoning trends, etc..)
- A website where our citizens can order free materials like Mr. Yuk stickers, coloring books, magnets, etc…
The Palmetto Poison Center wants to increase the number of folks that they are helping and educating. So… head over to their Facebook page and become a fan. From their Facebook page, they release stories, safety tips, and announcements. It is a great way to keep up-to-date on your poison awareness!
Win a $50 Visa Gift Card
Two Southern Savers readers will win a $50 Visa gift card.
You have two chances to enter:
1. Leave a comment with what you think is the most dangerous poison around you.
2. Like Palmetto Poision Center on Facebook and leave another comment below that you did.