This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Nothing makes it feel like Fall like a house that smells like cinnamon! Rather than spending lots of money on products that have been treated with chemicals and made to smell like cinnamon, I decided to try my hand at DIY cinnamon pinecones with some essential oils I already had on-hand. I already had everything I needed for this project, which made it free!
Pine cones (from the yard)
Small spray bottle
Clove essential oil
Cinnamon essential oil
1. The first step was to find the pine cones. My girls were more than happy to collect some from the yard.
2. To make sure none of the critters from the pine cones set up house in our home, I baked the pine cones at 200 degrees while keeping a close eye on them. Our pine cones were pretty tight and the heat brought out the moisture which opened them up a lot. You want to use newer pine cones instead of ones that are open and old and will rot.
3. I let ours heat in the oven for about 1.5 hours, flipping them to make sure all sides get equal heat, but an hour should do if they’re already open.
4. Mix the clove and cinnamon oils with water in a small spray bottle. Looking back, I think next time I’ll only use cinnamon to keep the smell simple.
5. Put the pine cones in a gallon size bag and liberally spray them with your cinnamon mixture.
6. Seal the bag and let it sit for 24 hours.
7. Take the pine cones out and enjoy the smell!