Last week I was supposed to bring a dessert to church, and as usual remembered maybe 30 minutes before we needed to leave. This is the moment where I tend to grab the pack of Keebler cookies and a nice plate… but there wasn’t a single packaged cookie in the house. My next issue was that I had lots of cake mix but not a single container or frosting (this happens regularly with couponing) so what could I make having only cake mix??
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. They take 6 ingredients and a whopping 15 minutes to make, so we had fresh baked cookies and were on time to church.
The best part to me… I can get a box of cake mix on sale with coupons for less than 25¢ most times. That’s by far cheaper than buying prepackaged cookies!
Cake Mix Cookies: Chocolate Crinkles Recipe
Grab a box of chocolate cake mix and have Chocolate Crinkle cookies ready to eat in less than 15 minutes. It's a great recipe for kids to help with too!
- 1 box Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Put powdered sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together until dough forms and there are no lumps.
- Drop tablespoon sized ball of dough into the powdered sugar and roll around until fully covered. You want to almost over do the powdered sugar, as the dough will absorb some of the sugar.
- Place ball onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes. Tops will be cracked and may appear moist, it is best to take them out a tad early than to over cook.
- If they don’t rise well for you, try smaller size cookies. We found that they were flat if too large, or when I tried baking at lower temperatures.
You can use any chocolate cake mix that you have on hand, I've just found that the Betty Crocker tastes the best. You can also skip the extra cocoa and sugar if you don't have them. They help to make the cookie taste richer, but aren't necessary, you'll still want to eat them all!
Created by SouthernSavers.com