This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
As we cover all the ways to save on gas this week, one of the easiest is taking advantage of grocery rewards programs! There are lots of different reward programs out there, so I will briefly break down each one and then talk about a few tricks to save more.
This is part of a series we posted a number of years ago, that I have refreshed and brought out from the archives. Today is part 2 of a three-part series on how to save money on gas. Part 1 covered habits to help save money on gas, and part 3 will cover whether gas reward credit cards are worth it.
Using Your Groceries to Save Money on Gas
Kroger Gas Savings
As the name implies, this is for Kroger stores (and their affiliates) only. They have Kroger gas stations and a few other gas brands (like Shell) that have partnered with them in various areas. Find more about the Kroger gas savings program in your area here.
- Earn 10¢ off per gallon up to 20 gallons of gas for every 100 points you earn.
- Get 1 point for every dollar spent on groceries (before coupons).
- Get 50 points for each prescription filled. (Excludes Arkansas stores and any paid-for government-funded programs.)
- Get 100 points for every $50 spent in gift cards. (Doesn’t include Kroger store gift cards)
- If your area partners with Shell or other outside gas stations, buy $50 gas gift cards at Kroger, earn rewards points, and then fill up and save more.
- All Kroger pharmacies will price match any local pharmacies price for prescriptions. This makes the extra gas savings even more awesome, you got the best possible price and saved on gas.
- Watch for 4X points offers on special weekends and on gift cards. That means you buy a $50 gift card and get 20¢ off a gallon of gas.
- Consider getting the Kroger Mastercard to earn faster fuel points. You’ll earn 2X the points on every store purchase plus more points on house brand items. (We’ll discuss this more in tomorrow’s post).
The cons of this system is that it caps you at $1 off per gallon per fill-up, compared to earning a free tank of gas. The other big problem is that in most areas the participating stations are few and far between. (In my area there are two stations for the entire town).
SE Grocer Rewards (Formerly Fuel Perks)
This is a gas program run that is run for Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie stores. They are affiliated with Shell stations and give the option to use the rewards off your next grocery purchase of gas station fill up.
- You earn 5¢ off per gallon of gas up to 20 gallons for every $100 in groceries you buy (before coupons). Most stores also run additional promotions on select items and your receipt will print bonus coupons that offer up to 5X in points in your next purchase!
- There is no cap on savings; you can earn up to a free tank of gas!
- Earnings expire after 1 year if not used.
- Redeem at gas stations across the US.
- Most stores offer bonus points when you purchase gift cards. The best way to save money is to buy gas gift cards for the store you use your points at. Now you’re earning more points and then can turn around and save more on gas.
The Food City program is almost the same as Kroger program, except you earn 15¢ off per gallon, up to 20 gallons, for every 150 points. You can also earn 50 points for each filled prescription.
Harris Teeter started their gas program in the last year. While it is a newer fuel rewards program than many of the other grocery stores, they modeled it after the Kroger program (they are owned by Kroger after all).
Earn 10¢ off per gallon of gas up to 35 gallons for every $100 spent in stores. You can redeem them at most BP and Amoco stations as well as any Harris Teeter fuel centers.
Like Kroger’s program above, the max savings is up to $1 off per gallon.
Grab your Lowes Foods card and earn 5¢ off per gallon of gas up to 25 gallons with their fuel rewards. You can use them at any Lowes Foods gas station plus link your card to Speedway and use them at any Speedway station.
Watch for a number of Gas Reward deals they run each month. These can make for huge grocery deals when you pair in coupons!
While Publix doesn’t have a gas rewards program, they do run a discount on gas station gift cards at least once a month. You’ll find a coupon on the front page of the weekly ad and will save $10 off any $50 gas station gift card! That’s an easy 20% off and really is by far the biggest discount over any of the rewards programs mentioned so far.
Tip: Grab gift cards for stations you can use your rewards from other stores at!
Get a Walmart gift card and use it at participating stations to save 3¢ off per gallon.
One Last Tip
Most of these programs are for a savings up to 20 or even 35 gallons. If you fill up a car that holds less than the maximum amount allowed, you NEED to bring a gas can or even a second car. Fill up your car and then fill up a 5 gallon gas can or pull up your husband’s car right behind you and put 5 gallons in his car. Don’t waste those extra gallons at a discount!
What has your experience using your groceries to save money on gas? Let us know in the comments!