This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Advent calendars are a fun way to count down the days until Christmas and enjoy a tradition as a family. But this year, save some money and let the kids have a blast being creative with this super simple DIY Lego Advent Calendar!
DIY Lego Advent Calendar
Rather than spending $20+ to buy an advent kit, just print this out and each day they will have something new to create. We laminated ours and then covered it with scratch off paint (see below for instructions) and made it even more fun to have a surprise each day!
The best part is that every kid in the house can participate and create their own project that day without having to buy a calendar for each kid.
How to Make Scratch-Off Paint
- Mix together 1 part dish soap and 1 part paint (We had acrylic and some left over chalk paint and they both worked great. )
- Stir until they are both blended together well.
- Either laminate or cover the circles with clear packing tape.
- Paint over the circles and let them dry.
- Scratch off each day and start building!
This was halfway through painting. The thicker chalk paint covered in one coat. Some acrylics may need a second coat so you can’t read the words.
This DIY Lego Advent Calendar will spark creativity and may even lead to more elaborate Lego constructions, a perfect activity for chilly December days!