This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
One of my favorite meals growing up was classic tomato soup and grilled cheese (let’s be honest…it still is). It’s warm and comforting and the mix of the crispy-edged grilled cheese and smooth soup is a perfect combination.
This homemade version of tomato soup is super easy. Add the ingredients to a slow cooker and you’ll have soup in a few hours. Tip: to make your grilled cheese extra special, spread mayo on the outside of the bread before you put it in the hot pan. It’ll crisp up the edges and give it an extra buttery texture.
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
This soup is perfect for a rainy day, and it also freezes really well.
Many of the ingredients will come from your pantry! You can even use garlic powder if you don’t have any other forms of garlic.
First you’re going to chop the onion and add it and the garlic to the slow cooker.
Then add everything else, except the heavy cream!
Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low (I did 3.5 on high!).
When it’s done, it will not look like what you may imagine tomato soup should look like, so I prefer to use an immersion blender to blend in the onions.
This makes it nice and creamy, with a smooth texture.
Then add in the cream (you can also use milk or half and half for lower fat if you want!).
We like to serve it with grilled cheese on homemade bread, which in my opinion is the only way to eat tomato soup!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- (2) 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Add the first 6 ingredients (through the tomatoes) to your slow cooker. Give it a stir and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth (if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the soup to a blender and blend in batches). Stir in the heavy cream. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
See more frugal recipes!