This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
We usually have one dinner a week that I call a “tortilla” meal. That is, whatever we’re eating can be eaten on a tortilla. It might be beef tacos, or lentil tacos, or chicken fajitas.
One new meal I’ve been doing, is Instant Pot chicken carnitas. I love that most of the work of these is done in the Instant Pot. Some people in our family put these on tortillas, although I prefer to have mine with sauteed peppers and onions and cauliflower rice. However you eat them, they are delicious and you’ll probably end up adding these to your monthly rotation of meals!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
These Instant Pot chicken carnitas couldn’t be easier. All you need is chicken, spices, and lime juice! While you can certainly use fresh lime juice for this, I find it just as good with the bottled kind from the store.
Place the chicken thighs on the bottom of the slow cooker. You can also use breasts, but the thighs are SO much more flavorful.
Sprinkle the spices on top.
Add your liquid — water and lime juice. Then you’re going to set it to cook for 8 minutes and let it release naturally.
If you don’t want to crisp up your meat, you can serve the chicken carnitas straight out of the Instant Pot.
I like to do a little extra work and slice up the chicken and place it under the broiler for a few minutes.
This gets the edges really crispy and, in my opinion, takes this meal over the top. I recommend it if you have time!
These Instant Pot chicken carnitas are one of my favorite weeknight meals. I hope you try them out!
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Place the chicken in the bottom of your the Instant Pot.
- Stir together spices and then sprinkle over the chicken.
- Pour the liquid over the chicken and stir it all around.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and slice or shred it, then place it on a large baking sheet.
- Broil for a few minutes until it starts to crisp, then flip the chicken over and broil for a few more minutes.
- Serve with taco/fajita fixings, or with peppers and onions and cauliflower rice!